Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kale and fried egg sandwich

After coming home from work earlier this week, I wanted something quick and easy for me and my brother to eat for dinner.  I started off by sauteing some Kale and ended up with a very tasty sandwich.  The best part is, it works for any meal of the day (at least I think it would also make a great breakfast or lunch sandwich).

For one sandwich
Ingredients:
1/2 bunch of kale, washed and dried with the center vein removed
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 egg
around 1/2 Tablespoon butter or oil
a slice of cheese (I used white sharp cheddar)
two slices of bread (I used ezekiel bread)
salt and pepper

Instructions:

1) Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan.  Add some red pepper flakes and when they start to sizzle add the kale.  Stir a few times and cook for 2-3 minutes or until wilted.  Remove from pan.
2) Then in the same saute pan, toast the slices of bread in a little bit of oil or butter.
3) In a smaller pan heat the butter or oil and then add the egg to fry.  Using a spoon, ladle the hot oil onto the top of the cooking egg to cook it without flipping the egg over.  Repeat this until the top is entirely white.  I like the egg to be runny, so I removed it from the heat relatively quickly.  Season it with salt and pepper.
4) Make a sandwich by layering the kale, fried egg and cheese between the bread.  The heat from the egg should melt the cheese if you time it correctly.  Enjoy!

2 comments: