Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pasta Dish for One


Oh hey there.  Long time no see.  My most recent sabbatical from this blog can be explained..really! I swear!  I just returned from a trip to the distant land of Indonesia, and yes it was amazing.  I'll be making some food inspired by my trip at a later date, but for now I thought I'd post my dinner from tonight.  Sometimes you're by yourself and want to eat a delicious meal, so this is a solo dish that may sound strange but is very yummy.  Treat yourself!



Ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil
4 Baby-bello mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup kimchi chopped (Kimchi is a korean fermented cabbage which is delicious and has actually gained popularity in the states recently.  you can find it at asian supermarkets and most heath food stores)
1 small garlic clove minced
1 portion ziti rigati pasta (I like to just put the dried pasta into a bowl to gauge how much I want)
grated parmigiano

Instructions:
1) Boil 6-8 cups of water in a medium saucepan and sprinkle in some salt.  Add the pasta and stir once.
2) In the meantime, heat up a small skillet or cast iron pan with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms in batches.  You don't want to crowd the mushroom or they will sweat and not cook properly.  Put the finished mushrooms on a paper towel and add more oil if needed between batches.
3) When the pasta is almost cooked to al dente (about 6 minutes), add the kimchi to the sauté pan along with the garlic.  Stir and cook for 30 seconds then toss the mushrooms in.  This should all be done very quickly over medium heat to avoid burning the garlic.  The pasta should be al dente at this point.
4) Stir in the pasta along with a splash of the pasta water to the skillet and heat up the ingredients together until some of the water has evaporated.
5) Serve topped with some grated parmigiano cheese.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment