Friday, September 13, 2013

Incredible Olive Oil and Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread


This pumpkin bread is like crack....no it's worse than crack because I can say no to crack but I can't refuse a slice of this delicious dessert.  I developed this recipe by making a bunch of changes to a basic recipe I found, and the result was that I ended up eating about 1/2 of it in one sitting.  Don't judge.  If it helps you/me feel less guilty then I'll mention that it uses olive oil instead of butter and half of the flour is whole wheat.
Makes one loaf
Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup granulated sugar
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree MINUS 1/4 cup (I just used what was left from my pumpkin spice syrup)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup water

1/4 cup unsulphured molasses

Instructions:
1) Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease a loaf pan.  
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and ground spices.  Set aside.
3) Combine the sugar, pumpkin puree, olive oil, eggs, water, and molasses in a large bowl. 
4) Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with the pumpkin mixture and stir just to combine.
5) Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.  
6) Allow to cool completely before attempting to remove from the pan. Enjoy!! 

2 comments:

  1. I just bookmarked this one! Sounds so good! (I'm thinking Thanksgiving parade-watching breakfast!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete