Monday, March 7, 2011

If you had one last day...

Last week I had to say goodbye to my good friend Pleng who was moving back to Thailand.  We met on 23rd street and I promptly asked her "where do you want to go for your last lunch in NYC??"  To which she responded "anywhere, it doesn't matter."  I wasn't willing to let this meal be at any old mediocre restaurant.  It had to be something yummy that she would want to have one last time.  So, we ended up at.....
Ippudo!  They were voted best Ramen in the City, but besides great soup they have one secret weapon hidden on their menu.  I urge you to drop everything and go to Ippudo and order their pork buns.  You will not regret it.  These tasty little buns are the kind of dish that make time stand still.  You know what I mean--> you take a bite and all of your thoughts leave your head because all you can think is "damn this is amazing!!"  We left completely satisfied and decided that next time she visits we are going back and just ordering two orders each of the pork buns (each order comes with two).  I can't wait :-)

Pleng leaving left me thinking "what are the essential food experiences that I would need to have if I were going to leave NYC for a long amount of time?"  Here is a list of some of my favorite food spots in NYC (in no particular order):

1) Murray's Cheese- 254 Bleeker between 6th and 7th ave.  They have an amazing selection of cheeses and their staff is so so so nice and helpful.  It's also right next to #2 selection (Amy's Bread)
2)Amy's Bread- Great homemade bread.  Try their bread twists for a yummy snack.
3) Economy Candy- 108 Rivington St.  It's like heaven on earth in candy form.  Floor-to-ceiling candy!
4) Of course Ippudo- 65 4th Ave. order the pork buns!
5)Nolita House- 47 East Houston St. Great spot for brunch.  They have a bluegrass come in and play on Sundays after 11.  It's a little loud and crowded but the baked french toast is yummmmmmy and I kinda like the atmosphere.
6) The City Bakery- 3 west 18th street between 5th and 6th ave. Aside from their incredible hot chocolate and chocolate chip cookies, they have a really great food buffet in the back that features produce from the Union Square Green Market (which I also love).
7) McNulty's Tea and Coffee Co.- 109 Christopher St.   Super quaint little shop.  They have tons of loose-leaf tea kept in jars atop a table that takes up almost the whole store.  When you buy tea or coffee they weight it on this large old-fashioned scale and stamp the name of the blend onto the brown paper bag with one of their hundreds of little stamps that are hung on the back wall.  Very cute.

Feel free to share any food hot-spots that you have encountered in NYC.  Delicious suggestions are always welcomed on this blog :-)

3 comments:

  1. If I had one day left to live and didn't have to worry about my Celiac's I would go to Madeleine's on 23rd between 6th and 7th and have a chocolate almond croissant. I might have two. They're the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo I've only been there for their amazing french macarons. I'll have to check out this croissant for research purposes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering as I am looking at that picture. I believe your best friend, Angela, owes you a birthday dinner. Did someone say Ippudo?
    I love your blog!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete