Monday, April 18, 2011

Flourless Molten Chocolate Cake (Good for Passover)



I wanted to make a Passover dessert that wouldn't taste like cardboard.  After looking through a lot of molten chocolate cake recipes, I came up with this one.  It is so so so easy to make and a definite crowd pleaser. 
Serving size (12-ramekin sized portions)
Ingredients
2 sticks of butter (1 cup) cut into pieces
8 oz. dark chocolate (60% or higher)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
6 large eggs
a pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 quarter-sized chunks of dark chocolate

Instructions
1) Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2) Using a double boiler (or a heat-safe bowl on top of a saucepan with an inch of water) melt the butter and dark chocolate together.  Meanwhile, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.  
3) Add the melted butter and chocolate mixture to the egg mixture being careful not to scramble the eggs.  The best way to avoid this is by making sure the melted chocolate and butter isn't too hot, and by adding a little at a time to help temper the eggs.  
4) Distribute the batter evenly into 12 ramekins and drop a chunk of dark chocolate into the center of each one (cover the chunks completely with the batter)
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the center still jiggles a bit but the outside is cooked.  It's difficult to tell, but basically the top should look just cooked.   
This rich, dense cake is best served fresh out of the oven.  Try it with some vanilla ice cream, or just plain. 

2 comments:

  1. OMGGGGGG were you not supposed to come over and make these for me?? I am holding you to it my dear! I would do it my self, but I am more of a "cook", not quit a baker!!!
    Looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I provide you with belgian chocolate and you make this delicious dessert for me???? :)

    ReplyDelete