Friday, April 27, 2012

Low East Side Spot #1- Fong Da Bakery



In an effort to explore the area where I now live (Lower East Side), I'll be writing the occasional post highlighting some of my favorite spots in the neighborhood for cheap, delicious food.  The other day I was waiting for a friend by the subway stop near my house when something caught my eye.
One of the many Chinese bakeries in my neighborhood had a table outside that was displayed bags with various assortments of pastries and a sign saying "$1.00 a bag".  Normally a bun with various fillings is only a dollar each.  I already thought these pastries were a steal.  Now, to get rid of the older ones from that morning, they're sold 2-for-1, 3-for-1, or even a whole loaf of the sweet buns for just a dollar.  This is an amazing discovery and certainly made my day.

Here are the details for this particular bakery:
Fong Da Bakery 
83 Essex st. (right by the JZFM Delancey St. stop)
I think they put this table out around 5:30-6 pm every day, and for quality control purposes I purchased some and they were still delicious.  


1 comment:

  1. Are you sure they are not Fong Gee by 5:30 pm?

    ReplyDelete