Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Budino di Riso

One dessert that I am practically obsessed with has not made its way over here from Italy.  That dessert is Budino di Riso or "Rice Pudding".  Now, you may be thinking "Rice pudding is all over the place in America".  That's correct, but it's not the same as how they make it in Italy.  They take it a step further and actually bake the rice pudding in a shortbread crust!  It's amazing.

So, this morning I decided to make my own recipe.  I used the crust recipe for a torta della nonna instead of the usual pasta frolla and invented my own rice pudding recipe.  Basically I use Arborio rice (used for risotto) and instead of adding broth and stirring, I add a mixture of milk, sugar and a vanilla bean. Towards the end I added some cinnamon, then busted open the vanilla bean and added the little seeds.

I then greased mini loaf pans, added the crust to each mold, added the cooled rice pudding and baked at 375 F for 20-25 min until golden brown.  Allow them to cool, dust with powdered sugar and consume.
Sorry for the lack of measurements but I made it up as I went according to taste.  This was a trial version.  Next time I make them I'll measure things out and post the real recipe.  For now enjoy this picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment