Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I completely forgot about this thing

So, I very predictably dropped the ball on writing regularly in this blog.  I have been super busy, and since writing last year a lot has changed.  I graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education(ICE) and earned certificates in Culinary Arts and Culinary Management.  On New Years Eve I finished my internship at the restaurant Daniel.  I have had great experiences through school and the internship, and have met really interesting people in the culinary field including Daniel Boulud (who is such a nice guy and a very talented chef).  Over a week ago I had my wisdom teeth out and have been recovering/looking for jobs in the industry.  I have also been making a lot of food to pass the time.
One recipe I would like to share is for homemade grenadine.  Grenadine was originally made with pomegranate juice, and how it became a bright red cherry-flavored corn syrup is beyond me.  Anyway, grenadine could not be easier to make.  Just take 4 cups of pomegranate juice and put it in a saucepan over medium heat.  Allow it to simmer and reduce for 10-15 minutes and then add 2 cups of sugar, stirring to dissolve.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  If it isn't syrupy enough then you can always dissolve more sugar into it.  Also, it will be a darker brown-red color rather then the bright red you are used to seeing.  I used mine the other day to make a drink with Fresca, vodka and grenadine.  It was out of this world delicious!!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment